SERP Checker: How To Write A Great Meta Description
The Greatest Meta Descriptions Revealed With a SERP Checker
The key to inbound marketing success is getting your website found by customers. One common mistake many business owners and marketing professionals make when launching a website is overlooking the importance of including a meta description.
What exactly is a meta description?? It?s the snippet of text found below the link of a search result. This text helps search engine crawlers to index and rank your site. It also gives searchers a chance to quickly preview your site from the many results produced when running a keyword search.
Not including an effective meta description can cost you. You could miss out on traffic that might generate new leads and attract qualified customers to your site.? Run your URL through a SERP checker to see exactly where you rank among your peers.
Let?s take a?look at the role meta descriptions play in search results, and the best practices you can use to produce an effective one.
Meta Description and Search Results
The key to writing effective meta descriptions is to write like a true salesperson. Anyone conducting a search is presented with a list of results that they can then explore. The purpose of your meta description is to succinctly describe the contents of your page to a reader. The goal is to convince them to click through to your website.
You want your site to appear as close to the top of the SERP as possible. A meta description is one of many factors search engines may use when ranking sites. The more accurate and relevant your description is to the keywords used, the higher your page rank.
For any given search, there are only a few people who will scroll down the page to click a result. A concise, meta description can persuade the reader to click onto your site. In a nutshell, the better your meta description, the higher click through rates you?ll see from organic search.
Write A Great Meta Description
If you can write effective sales copy, you can write a great meta description. The goal is to drive the searcher to click while maintaining accuracy to meet their expectations. Here are a few best practices to remember when crafting your meta description:
- Always Use Action Oriented Language ? A meta description should be a call-to-action. Start yours with an action word like ?Learn,? or ?Discover,? then follow it with exactly what they?ll find.
- Provide a Solution? Searchers are looking for solutions and information. Let them know how you can help.? Tell them what they can expect to find and why they should click onto your site. This is your chance to sell them on what you?re offering.
- Keep It Short and Concise ? Search engines allow for about 155 characters to be shown with any result.? Make them count.
- Avoid Stuffing Keywords ? Search engines and consumers frown upon keyword stuffed descriptions. This can throw up red flags with the search engines, and damage the level of trust consumers will have in your content.
- Be Specific and Relevant ? Consumers know fluff when they see it. It?s important to use descriptive, accurate language to connect and convince your target audience. Let them know exactly what they?ll find!
Once you?ve written your meta description try running the SERP checker again.? You should see an improvement in your ranking.? If you?d like to learn even more about how to get your website found, increase leads and generate sales stop by the Marketing Matter Inbound website for a free Inbound Marketing Assessment. We?ll give you an overall grade on your website?s marketing effectiveness!
Marketing Matters Inbound?is an inbound marketing firm specializing in online conversions, content?strategy, PPC campaigns and traditional media placement. Our experience in?B2B digital?marketing?and?traditional media?allows us to deliver results through a strategic media mix. We believe in?aligning and merging marketing and sales/operations for optimal return on your marketing investment.
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!